Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Yanniru. "evolution=instrument Of The Devil?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by S.H. Le on January 23, 2001 00:13:54 UTC

Wuz goin on fellas? I am OK, thanks for asking. I hope that you're Ok too :)

"I am of the opinion that evolution is the process that created humans physically. If you look at the principles of evolution, which are essentially dog eat dog, competition and survival of the fittest, as exemplified by warfare within species and which is the essence of capitalism without government control, you do find a "virulent Darwinist creator". In other words, you find the devil. It's argued that the Devil is a being. Well if God is a being, then the devil probably is as well. But my intuition is that both are more like forces." - Yan

I think evolution is perfectly consistent with cooperation… tho it's primarily for selfish reasons. For all the examples of domination and competition in nature, you'll find instances of symbiosis and mutual relationships. Evolution actually explains altruism… sacrificing oneself for another - it typically happens with related individuals (altruism increases the chances for a genetically similar individual to produce progeny), such as a mother dying to preserve her young. Cooperation is also conducive to survival of the fittest. There are lots of social species other than humans: apes, zebras, lions, bats, etc etc. and they've all proven to be pretty sucessful.

I would think that humans are the epitome of the paradoxical "competitive mechanism of survival of the fittest giving rise to a cooperative species" idea. We're physically weak, but our ability to communicate and collaborate our efforts as a group has made us highly adaptive. Although natural selection may only operate at the level of the individual, I think perhaps there's a cumulative effect in "species survival"… we have more to gain by working together - and our evolutionary ancestors have demonstrated this.

So just as you view "humans as needing a balance between good and evil"… mayhaps evolution is further example of this - competition/domination balanced out with cooperation.

Essentially it IS selfishness that motivates cooperation, because through cooperation there's an expectation that somebody will do something good for you. I don't see any reason why capitalism should be the means to accomplish this however… ah well, it's back to work for me.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins