Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Time To Play Devil's Advocate.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on January 22, 2001 12:56:24 UTC

I am of the opinion that evolution is the process that created humans physically. If you look at the principles of evolution, which are essentially dog eat dog, competition and survival of the fittest, as exemplified by warfare within species and which is the essence of capitalism without government control, you do find a "virulent Darwinist creator".

In other words, you find the devil. It's argued that the Devil is a being. Well if God is a being, then the devil probably is as well. But my intuition is that both are more like forces.

There is a story in Judaism, I forget which book, not the Talmud, that the Rabis caught the devil one day and put him (or her) into a barrel of concrete (I did not know they had concrete back then). But the world suddenly came to a halt. Nobody had the ambition to work. Nobody wanted to be better than anyone else. Nobody had the lust to perpetuate life, and so on.

So they came to realize that the devil played a creative role in human life and they released him, but first cut off his ear as a reminder that the Rabis had the upper hand if they wanted to reign him (or her) in again.

I never understood the philosophical significance of the loss of ear.

But the message of the story is clear. Human life needs a balance of good and evil. People who wreak their lives pursueing material wealth actually do the rest of us a favor. Someone has to do all that work. I'm not inclined to. But someone has to. And the only thing that really seems to motivate people to wreak their health by working so hard is the pursuit of wealth.

Frankly, I think it's young people like you who should be ambitious out of greed and in doing so change the world. You could become rich. I always thought I would be some day. But I finally gave up that ambition. It was not worth the sacrifices.

So agreed. All the obvious evidence suggests a non-benevolent god. I suggest you just look a little deeper and hope for the best. In the meantime, just try to be the best.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins