Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm Not Sure Where I Mislead You

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on January 19, 2001 02:55:10 UTC

The first source of criticism of "counter examples" (Hitler's 3rd reich) was admittedly the weakest argument. The following two are probably more convincing.

If Society is the only determinant of morality, then it follows that it IS an objective measure. Everything that your particular society dictates as morally required conduct is by definition correct. Disagree with any laws in the united states?

Furthermore, the mere fact that 2 societies disagree on morality, it doesn't follow that both are equally right on the issue. If two people argue that the world is flat, it doesn't follow that both are equally correct, it's either one or the other... of course that's assuming that morality is something objective.

And to your question of "If not society, then what is?"

My personal opinion on the matter is that morality is subjectively determined... it's essentially a mental construct influenced by other factors... like society/consequences of the act/evolution/etc. I agree with you, without humans, any there wouldn't be any concept of morality.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins