Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: God Is Not Needed.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on January 18, 2001 20:15:51 UTC

God and afterlife may not exist.If so, we will never know.

But I for one really prefer that at least an afterlife exists. There is scientific evidence that afterlife may be possible in Mitchell's SRI astral projewction studies published in the IEEE. I can conceive of a mechanism based on Dark Matter by which astral projection and (almost) therefore afterlife can happen.

God is not so easily discussed in such terms. The minimum condition for a god, may I be so bold as to venture, is interference in human life. That is god has to be active whereas an afterlife could be completely passive. Of course, most believers would profer that god could interfere with nature and perhaps even create it. So there are different levels of godliness.

So I think the question is, "Is there evidence of interference in human life beyond the probabilities of random statistics" In more common words, are our lives run by coincidence.

That is the thesis of Celestine Prophecy by the way.

Speaking for myself only, I am amazed to what extent coincidence runs my life. It's at the 10 sigma level.

One quick example.When I was kicked out of the Ashram where I lived in 1993 and 1994, I drovehome in a snowstorm. My car died on a bridge over the Connecticut River in Hartford. The police had my car towed. And I had enough money for the tow charge right down to the penny.

Well, I cannot help but believe that something is controlling my life. It could be the god, or a god. Or it could be my soul, perhaps in concert with other souls. I tend to believe more in local control than in universal control by some being with infinite intelligence.

Anyway I feel like something is playing games with me, or perhaps just reassuring me that there is more to life than life.

Keeping the faith,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins