Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What Is Doubt, Really...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by GwynJ on January 17, 2001 23:43:08 UTC

but the confidence that there is probably something more (or less) than meets the eye, be it a hypothesis, doubting a hatchet got in a stump by itself, whathaveyou.

as for judaism being the 'only' religion that encourages questioning, i think one thing some christians haven't seemed to glean from scriptures is the repeated encouragement to 'question teachers', 'taste' statements to see if they're true, etc. god is not the god of 'gullible people only'. like when we're kids in school and we know the answer, and try to lift our arm up out of its socket to be called on, only to be passed over to ask someone else. the enthusiastic kid, then silent, is thought of as not knowing/caring cuz he wasn't called on. i don't 'doubt' that might be how god feels sometimes when we say, gee, i wonder, and he's wishing we'd just ask him. but that's another thread, and probably another forum.

HOORAY FOR DOUBT, acknowledging a possibility is half the battle of finding the truth at last!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins