Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Collectively, We Are GOD

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phil.O.Sofir on May 5, 1999 21:57:11 UTC

: : ***I am curious if there is any documentation of the continuation of Jesus's life or the lives of his family or : : reletives... genetically.

: You've got me on that one; not sure...

: : ***Did you watch the NBC program "Noah's Ark"? I would have been so very offended had I still held my beliefs in Christianity. : : It was ridiculous, I cannot believe they made such a low quality represenation of this story and the philosophy of this period. : : What did you think?

: I could only watch bits and pieces. I couldn't believe the amount of error. Yes, it made me frustrated, but I wasn't surprised that it would be such a misrepresentation : coming from Hollywood.

: : ***I once believed wholeheartedly, so I can relate to your position : : and know that it is a good feeling to have something like that to believe in. : : I remember the confidence it provided me, the feelings of security, and the : : spiritually satisfying "knowlage" that I was fighting for the good side...

: Hmm. yes and no. I don't always feel that I'm right or that this IS the truth. I have doubts like anyone else. I would be lying if I said I 'knew' the truth for sure. : Its a constant challenge as well as a process growing in faith as a Christian (also that I'm very philosophical in my approach to matters). If I wasn't a Christian I would : most likely have my faith in the power of reason (naturalistic). However, this is the reason why I don't resort to faith in reason because it is both, spiritually void of : satisfaction and second I have found no fruit from faith in reason from myself or others. Probably the biggest "naturalistic" conviction I have comes from the presence : of the mind. I see the dualism between both mind and body to be evidence of 'something' greater than a naturalistic chain of events; ie. naturalistic determinism... The : reality of dualism between the mind and body is something that grips me far beyond any other natural known phenomena in the world. I think it is interesting that the : Bible says we are made in the image of God and that our own minds bear witness to the image/nature of what God is something like. God is spirit and to me I can : really tangibly see this in my best human way of understanding it. The human mind never ceases amazing me.

: : I do not hold this position any longer, and although my "fallfrom grace" has : : created many new obsticals and complications in my life, I would not trade them : : back in for what I had before, blind faith.

: like what type of obstacles and complications? And if all I had was blind faith I wouldn't be a Christian either. Christianity is not proven, but does not stand on : subjectivity alone. There is sufficient objectivity to base a faith in God, specifically Jesus Christ.

: As Christians, we need to realize that whenever science and scripture seem to conflict, we have misunderstood one or both of them.

: : There is nothing to it but a book of stories, many of which are based in part on : : historical events, people and places. : : This is my opinion of course, although I remember the days when I viewed the Bible, : : and the scholars and theologins as having provided me with "proof" of Gods existance.

: Interesting... I find it sad that they claimed they had "proof"... I think the fundamental issue/ideology in Christianity is not proof, but faith. One asks for faith to believe; : God gives it to him/her. It is noteworthy to mention that God responds to us according to our step of faith. This step is crucial. This is the one I personally have the : most problems with myself. : ) or : ( (depends on which way you look at it) hehe

: : Now I sometimes reflect back and am amazed at the level of my past and even present gullability. : : To bad there is still so much violence, hatred, and death in the world, which religion cannot solve, : : or politics. And it is ironic to see how much of this suffering is as a direct result of these institutions. : : I am glad to say that I am still openminded, and that the possibilities for my children to live in a world : : free of these undesirable happenings is not out of the question. Indeed, I pray for this kind of environment : : and attitudes to develop during my lifetime.

: Your right. Religion can't solve anything. Religion is nothing but man's attempt at achieving a moral status before God on his personal grounds. Christianity is God : reaching to mankind out of love to offer hope and a way out of eternal suffering.

: Peace my brother...

: -nåte

____________________ ***You are one of a rare sort, for you believe in the Christian God and the Bible, yet you have enough faith in yourself that you can place yourself in the space of objectivity. I am glad that you can see room for peace, so many do not. As far as eternal suffering, do you mean here on earth or the Hell thing? The thing that gets my goat is how it is supposed to give a blueprint for morals, yet at the same time says any other is evil, unsound and untrue, to me, this is immoral in itself, is it not? And then the whole thing about revelations, such a blueprint is immoral too! It doesn't even say "IF" you do not follow, it jsut says "This will happen, period". I sure hope it doesn't! Thanks, and Peace to you as well Nate.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins