Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm Not Sure About That One...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by nåte on May 5, 1999 04:37:29 UTC

: ***I am curious if there is any documentation of the continuation of Jesus's life or the lives of his family or : reletives... genetically.

You've got me on that one; not sure...

: ***Did you watch the NBC program "Noah's Ark"? I would have been so very offended had I still held my beliefs in Christianity. : It was ridiculous, I cannot believe they made such a low quality represenation of this story and the philosophy of this period. : What did you think?

I could only watch bits and pieces. I couldn't believe the amount of error. Yes, it made me frustrated, but I wasn't surprised that it would be such a misrepresentation coming from Hollywood.

: ***I once believed wholeheartedly, so I can relate to your position : and know that it is a good feeling to have something like that to believe in. : I remember the confidence it provided me, the feelings of security, and the : spiritually satisfying "knowlage" that I was fighting for the good side...

Hmm. yes and no. I don't always feel that I'm right or that this IS the truth. I have doubts like anyone else. I would be lying if I said I 'knew' the truth for sure. Its a constant challenge as well as a process growing in faith as a Christian (also that I'm very philosophical in my approach to matters). If I wasn't a Christian I would most likely have my faith in the power of reason (naturalistic). However, this is the reason why I don't resort to faith in reason because it is both, spiritually void of satisfaction and second I have found no fruit from faith in reason from myself or others. Probably the biggest "naturalistic" conviction I have comes from the presence of the mind. I see the dualism between both mind and body to be evidence of 'something' greater than a naturalistic chain of events; ie. naturalistic determinism... The reality of dualism between the mind and body is something that grips me far beyond any other natural known phenomena in the world. I think it is interesting that the Bible says we are made in the image of God and that our own minds bear witness to the image/nature of what God is something like. God is spirit and to me I can really tangibly see this in my best human way of understanding it. The human mind never ceases amazing me.

: I do not hold this position any longer, and although my "fallfrom grace" has : created many new obsticals and complications in my life, I would not trade them : back in for what I had before, blind faith.

like what type of obstacles and complications? And if all I had was blind faith I wouldn't be a Christian either. Christianity is not proven, but does not stand on subjectivity alone. There is sufficient objectivity to base a faith in God, specifically Jesus Christ.

As Christians, we need to realize that whenever science and scripture seem to conflict, we have misunderstood one or both of them.

: There is nothing to it but a book of stories, many of which are based in part on : historical events, people and places. : This is my opinion of course, although I remember the days when I viewed the Bible, : and the scholars and theologins as having provided me with "proof" of Gods existance.

Interesting... I find it sad that they claimed they had "proof"... I think the fundamental issue/ideology in Christianity is not proof, but faith. One asks for faith to believe; God gives it to him/her. It is noteworthy to mention that God responds to us according to our step of faith. This step is crucial. This is the one I personally have the most problems with myself. : ) or : ( (depends on which way you look at it) hehe

: Now I sometimes reflect back and am amazed at the level of my past and even present gullability. : To bad there is still so much violence, hatred, and death in the world, which religion cannot solve, : or politics. And it is ironic to see how much of this suffering is as a direct result of these institutions. : I am glad to say that I am still openminded, and that the possibilities for my children to live in a world : free of these undesirable happenings is not out of the question. Indeed, I pray for this kind of environment : and attitudes to develop during my lifetime.

Your right. Religion can't solve anything. Religion is nothing but man's attempt at achieving a moral status before God on his personal grounds. Christianity is God reaching to mankind out of love to offer hope and a way out of eternal suffering.

Peace my brother...

-nåte

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins