Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Excellent Analogy, So Far!!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by GwynJ on January 12, 2001 01:42:36 UTC

So the religions, essentially, do recognize that things exist and search for the 'why's' and 'what first's.' Perhaps there is a parallel or compli- mentary 'realm in the ether' (since we've seen some evidence by and by in our daily lives), when it comes to beliefs? This is gonna take a little skill to convey, so try to bear with me:) -

What exists is so vast, that not all humans could know everything from beginning to end. It's like being in a workshop FULL of tools, woods, metals, stones, etc; a workshop the size of a million football fields. Some come across hot coals, iron and hammers and content with that, will stay and forge more and more metal. Some see section upon section and explore where they might, more deeply where it's most satisfying. Others, still, are in the workshop, can smell the wood, the fire, the water, but close their eyes and claim to see nothing; therefore, there couldn't possibly be a shopkeeper to have put all those things in their places or endowed us with any creativity on how to use them.

It's like some figure 'here's a shed'; others 'here's a shed with cool stuff in it'; or 'look what we can do with the cool stuff'. This is pretty universal to my thinking, you have a wide range of these perceptions in all the religions. But it seems to leave out a significant factor: justice. it makes a BIG difference on how people behave if they know and can TRUST that somethin's gonna happen to the bad kids when the carpenter comes home, and won't they be jealous when us good kids are taken out for ice cream for treating the tools and the shed with respect?

there's that 'more to it but hard to put my finger on it' kinda stuff that is like your analogy. Oh. I did tell you before, didn't I, that I don't claim to have any big 'finger' that IS able to be put 'on' stuff? Hope I didn't wreck YOUR good post
!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins