Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Something And Nothing (nt)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Greg Armel/">Greg Armel on May 1, 1999 04:22:36 UTC

David: Something and nothing are not opposites, yet they both specify quantity, like zero and not-zero. In math zero and infinity are opposites in the number system, whereas zero and not-zero are not opposites, but they are still numbers or a set of numbers. They are the same thing. Greg: You sighted language as intrinsicly defining oppposites as the same thing, yet here you suggest they're not. Zero and nothing are the same thing, what would you suggest Zero is if it is not nothing? Infinity may be the opposite of Zero in the number system, but it also reflects a view of Eternity, and Eternity suggests nothing numerical. Something is opposite of nothing, when you consider the Eternal Void, for anything is infinitely more! N'est Pas? David: On another level. In Hinduism all things come in threes. In Taoism, all things come in pairs, yin and yang. In Judaism, all things are one. Yet the one, the two and the three are all the same. For example, the yin and the yang are the opposites of a third thing. Greg: In Taoism, the yin and the yang are one and the same, they are not opposites of a third thing, and here again, you demonstrate that opposites are not intrinsicly the same as a part of language by suggesting that they are a third thing. David: Just as in Hinduism you have the observer, the observed and the means to observe, the three things which include the opposites and the in between. Or in superstring theory, you have the open string and its two ends. The ends are the opposite ends of the string. So its one, two and three things at the same time. : even the closed string which has no end is 1,2 & 3. The string, inside it and outside it. In fact duality says that the inside and the outside of the string are inverses of each other just like zero and infinity. Greg: Duality is an Eastern rationalization in answer to Christianity's exclusive representation of Jesus as the Only means of being approved of by God. To suggest that duality does not exist is to say that we ARE God. While God may ALWAYS be One with us, does not mean that we are always one with God, because we have Free-Will, and we are not always nice people, let alone ALWAYS Correct and Perfect. God IS PERFECT. P.S.- As a Taoist I believe that opposites when taken to their extreme, can always be perceived as being one and the same, like the circle's beginning and end. Though I cannot ALWAYS perceive it so, I accept it as being so, but in fact, not because language intrinsicly makes it so. So I cannot offer you a view of opposites that are indeed opposite. Take the Night Sky for example. The Light of Billions of Stars are visible to the Hubble Space Telescope because it is Dark, the opposite of Light. Yet those same stars radiate Light in 360 degrees along two axis, so that they are visible from everywhere in the Universe. So every Nth of the dark that the Hubble sees those stars through must be filled with their Light, Opposites, One and the Same. Yet at the core of our galaxy there must exist worlds that never fail to know the Light of Day, so they never know the darkness, yet if they are ever know the Universe outside of those few suns that provide their light, in some way, they must learn of the dark. I cannot perceive how this may come to be, yet I accept that it shall, and that it has. :o)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins