Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: The LAw Of Expediency...... The True Entity Of All Phenomena...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Glenn on December 26, 2000 11:14:35 UTC

Why is called "Expedient means" Chapter in which it begins to be elucidate the true wisdom of the Buddha- namely the MYstic LAw. And why isn't named it as The " Wisdom of the Buddhas" Chapter or the " Truth Chapter" since it contains the true wisdom of the Buddha which has been reavealed.

I would like also to recapitulates on the replacement of the three vehicles on the One Buddha vehicle. Shaykyamuni declares, however, that there are not three separate teachings but only One- one single vehicle. Because it is the teaching for the attainment of Buddhaood, it is also known as the One Buddha vehicle.

To his followers and like Mr. Yanniru thingking of, it seemed as if Shakyamuni had taught separate teachings, but as far as the Buddha was concerned there was only One single Buddha vehicle and no other. The one Buddha vehicle is a teaching that enables all people to attain Buddhaood; it is endowed with the function of opening and revealing Buddha Wisdom and awakening and guiding poeple to the realm of Buddhahood.

To return our subject, when Shakyamuni declares in the Expedient means Chapter that he will now preach the LAw, " honestly discarding expedient means"(L.S.2,44), he is discarding the two types of expedient means as i presented so far. The secret and mystic expedient that represent the truth itself.
We normally tend to regard expedient means as a method to arrive at the truth as opposed to being means the ultimate truth itself. This makes it extremely difficult to understand the secret and mystic expedient, which, though termed an expedient is actually the TRUTH.

The wisdom of Buddhas is profound and immesurable. It is the Ultimate truth, and it cannot be fully described in words. In this Chapter, Shakyamuni Buddha cries:
Stop, Stop, no need to speak!
My LAw is wonderful and difficult to ponder(LS2,29)

To try to teach this indescribable and inconcievable truth in words, to give it some form of expression- This can be called an expedient means. But driven by his prfound compassion for living beings, the Buddha nevertheless resolved to make an attempt to expoud the inexpressible truth. THis is the secret and mystic expedient, an expedeint that is identical to the wisdom of the Buddha.
Though the truth is secreted away and hidden, when it comes in contact with certain external conditions, it can be revealed. The unfathomable reality of Life is called " Mystic" In terms of the 10 Worlds(or Life condtion), the world of Buddhahood is "secreted" or hidden in the lives of the people of the 9 worlds.Coming into contact with the appropriate external conditions, however, is can be manifested within the 9 worlds. This wonder is called " Mystic "

Mystic of secret and mystic expedeints indicates the very wonder, the unfathomable nature of Human Life itself. In other words, the 9 worlds ar all entities of Buddhahood. This is the principle of the 9 worlds have the potential for Buddhaood". And when one gains understanding of this truth, it becomes apparent that Buddhahood does not manifest itself anywhere separate from the nine worlds of ordinary living beings. It only apears within the 9 worlds. This is the principle of " Buddhahood reatins the 9 worlds "

I f we regard our goal of Buddhahood as " truth" and the nine wordls below that as expedeint means" , then expedient means as identical to truth(the 9 worlds have the potential for Buddhahood), while truth is identical to expedeint means(Buddhahood reatins the 9 worlds) This is the meaning of the secret and mystic expedeint.

I hope i was able to clarify clearly on the Expedient means Chapter all about...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins