Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: 'nothing'

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by yanniru/">yanniru on April 21, 1999 14:18:11 UTC

: What is nothing? Does it exist? If we remove all matter from space will it be nothing? What holds space? Does something always have to be contained in something else? If there is a God where does he exist? These questions I do not know the answer to, but maybe someone can help me further understand.

Several definitions of nothing. One is that nothing equals zero, a mathematical concept. It is perhaps the most important number in our numbering system, yet it was only discovered in our millenium. So in mathematics nothing is more important than anything else. It may turn out to be the same in physics and cosmology.

One definition of God is that God is everything, which in mathematics is called infinity. But from math we know that zero is the inverse of infinity. In ordinary words, zero equals any number divided by infinity. So I guess that makes nothing equal to anything divided by everything. Or anything is nothing in comparison to God.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins