Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: THE LEGENDS THAT MUST BE EXAMINED WELL.and Its Origination..

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Glenn on December 12, 2000 10:02:20 UTC

That is not what i want say on How Jesus doing at his time. What i need an asnwer is the what and the why's. I want an exact answer to it of what he taught the TRUTH he is talking to? And what is that TRUTH????????????????

Shakyamuni in the SAMYUTTA-NIKYA says " A PERSON WHO SEES ME ALSO SEES THE LAW. IF HE SEES THE LAW, HE ALSO SEES ME." In Buddhism a person who has been enlightened to the LAW is called Buddha. As what Jesus said in John 14, both Shakyamuni's words and those of jesus bear striking similarity, yet there is also a clear distinction between them. The above difference can be clearly realized by comparing the Christian or the Muslim God with the LAW in Buddhism. For example, in john 3, a Pharisee said to Jesus, " Rabbi, we know that You have come From God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him." However, his(Shakyamuni) exitence is not based upon anyone superior, but on UNIVERSAL LAW itself. As has been mentioned aboved, a Buddha is a person who has comes enlightened to the LAw. Buddhism teaches that the LAW underlies our lives and the entire universe. Therefore in Buddhism all people are potential Buddhas. This is the reason why the Buddha never stated anything like, " no one comes to the Father, but through Me," as decribed in John 14.

The LAW as taught in Buddhism is the LAw of cause and effect, but in yours, the GOD is the first cause of all existence in the universe. That is to say, all living entities and even and even the universe itself are the outcome of God's grace, will and omnipotence... Instead of " first cause," BUDDHISM clarifies that all existence and phenomena are based upon and regulated according to the eternal lAW of cause and effect.

I beleive that Christ was not fully enlightened to the truth of the Universal law comparing to what Shakyamuni had achieved.
I have a question where does Jesus go at his age between at his age in his early Adolsecent years at between 13 to 29 where he is gone in the history? We'll according to the Archaeologists or to some scholars Jesus was in that time to the particular place of subcontinent of India where at that time Buddhism spread and flourished. And they found that in a Buddhist Monastery like a cave they found the his name something " Theus" i don't remember exactly but i am sure Jesus was also a seeker to find the way of enlightenment or Truth. If that is true, since it has been put in the History book, then i have no doubt that his teachings came from Buddhism and also the same with your prophet Muhhamad. We'll what do u think??????

There are many teachingss stories from Chriatians or in Islam that all are influenced and came from Buddhist teachings. Like the story of St. Eustace and of the " Barlaam and Josaphat"

As regards the legends of saints which were written before the Middle Ages, some scholars have speculated that Buddhist stories such as the Jataka with the Legends of St. Eustace. St. Eustace's given name was placidus. He was the highest commander under Roman emperor Trjan(53-117 A. D.) Although PLacidus liked hunting and came upon a herd of deer among who an especially wondrous deer was standing. The deer left the herd and came to entice PLAcidus away from his companions. When Placidus approached the stag, he saw a cross with the imge of the the savior sparkling between the deer's splendid antlers. Then, the stag said to him " WHy do you pursue me? I am Christ." Stricken by these words, he returned home ans was baptized with his family. In Bpatism he was given the name Eustachius and later cannonized as St. Ustace.

SOURCE OF THE STORY.........

According to Richard Garbe, M. Gasber and J.S Speyer, the direct source of the legend of St. Eustace is JAtaka 12 in the Pali canon. On brief, the story goes like this: A king named Brahmadatta, who was very fond of Hunting, once reigned over Benares. About that time a bodhisattva(the future Buddha, which means who seek and close to the state of Buddhahho) was reicarnated as a stag. His appearance was incridebly splendid and his horns were bright as silver. One day a pregnant doe was about to be killed by the King. Palcing himself between the doe and the king, the mavelous stag explained that he would sacrifice his life for the doe's. The King was so moved by the stag's selfless and protective atitude that he promised never to kill another deer again. Whereopun the bodhisattva in the stag's form taught the king the true way fo life. The king came to believe and abide by the bodhisattva's teachings for the rest of his life.

Richard Garbe writes about these two stories..:

" The most important features are absolutely identical. The kinf Brahmadatta and Placidus are both passionately fond of Hunting..Both meet the savior of the world( in the Buddhist story it is the Future Savior) in the form of splendid satg- in the jataka with siovered-colored horns, in the Christian legends with crucifix between his horns. In both stories the stag subjects himself to the danger of being slain in order to point out to Brhamadatta and Palcidus respectively the way to salvation "

And other stories the Two Buddhist saints- Barlaam and Josaphat" The story of it although permaeted in Christians ideas, it's original seeting was in the Legends of Buddha and that was surprisingly os its similarity. Scholar Max Muller states " the author heard the story not only , as he says, from the lips of poeple who had brought it hi fro india, be he even had the text of the " laLITA- vISTATRA" before him " The comparison between these story and of the legends of Buddha dates back to the 17th century. However, for the first time in the 19th century, it was claimed by Laboulaye that story originated in Buddhist legends. Since then, clear proof as been furnished by sevral scholars. One of them, Ernst Kuhn, said that the author had made very free use of the entire Buddhist tradition, and not just of one particular text like Lalita-Vistara. If his theory is right, it would be necessary for there to be many BUDDHIST SUTRAS AND STORIES AVAILBLE IN THE WEST. Concening the spread of Buddhist legends, Winternitz ralates in A HISTORY OF INDIA LITERATURE, " IN EASTEN IRAN OR IN CENTRAL ASIA, where as we know through the finds of Sir Aurel Stein, Grunswedel and v. Le Coq in Khotan and Turfan, Zoroastrians, Buddhists, Christians and Manichans lived together in closest proximity, a christian monk could be easily become acqauinted with the Buddha legend, and be stimulated by it to compose a work which was imapart to Christian doctrines" Afterwards as pious Christians, Barlaam and Josaphat, the heroes of the story, were anked among saints bt Catholic church. Winternitz says, "Josapahat, however, is none other than the Bodhisattva."

We'll any comments here and try to reflect the history of the world...and what Buddhism greatly contribute and influence the people way of living and beliefs around the world.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins