Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
True Or False

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on November 30, 2000 13:19:00 UTC

My perspective is entirely different from yours. Your thinking is black or white, nothing in between. You apparently think that only one religion can be true and all others must be false.

So in order to determine if a religion is false, all we have to do is find one incorrect thing in a religion, and by your thinking, that makes it false.

Well your religion is based on the mantra,

"Nam-myoho-renge-kyo"

By your own admission, Buddha gave us,

"Myoho-renge-kyo"

and Nichiren gave us the "Nam"

So that has to be incorrect. We should not chant something that the Buddha did not tell us to chant. That means that by your thinking, your own religion has to be false.

Of course, that is not my opinion. My opinion is that your religion, or any other religion, is not perfect. All religions contain a mixture of truth and approximation. Approximation is necessary, just like in science, because human beings are not capable of absorbing the whole truth.

So it is really bad karma to say that someone's religion is false. You know the old story about people who live in glass houses.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins