Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: But Who Needs God To Be Nice And Kind?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rich on November 28, 2000 03:57:01 UTC

Hmmmm.
Answer these in turn, I shall. When I stated that when a person has a feeling that is as glorious as love, they tend to want to share it and expand the feeling. This ultimately leads to a belief in god. If there is a god, then it is not unreasonable to assume that god has emotions, the bible dictates that. But my statement was meant to point out that a feeling such as love is not necessarily evidence of god. We know that some animals have parents that do care for their young. Elephants when they find a dead elephant react as if they have lost part of a link. Sure, it could all be from god, but I don't see it as proof of god's existance.

Your realization that some actions of god seemed to not be in the short term best interests of man. Sure god would need to have restraint on man, but there have been plenty of actions by man where god has had no action, the holocaust, the massive extinctions of various groups of people, and the worst of all, disco.

A person can only drive a bad car for so long, but I feel that a person can fix the car. I believe people really underestimate their abilities. They feel their actions are only attributable to god's help. This is fine and all, but isn't there a limit. God can only do so much. An athlete can be gifted, but if they don't have the will, they'll never get out the door.
It is important to have a great outlook on life. To be able to accept realities to appreciate the world. I make it my mission to reflect on as many moments as I can. I study alot. I'm an engineer that is an athlete, a history scholar, a government scholar, becoming a law scholar, making concentrations in physics, a writer both serious and humerous. When I use the word scholar, I mean more or less well above the average person. I value knowledge greater than anything. The whole election issue in Florida, I've been on top of all the law and decisions, reading the the decisions and law making informed judgements and then yelling at people that claim knowledge, but don't have a clue. I hate people that pretend to know what they are talking about. Did I mention I hate that? Its really one of only two things I hate. I hate ignorance portrayed as intelligence and people that don't think that all people are equal. I love humanity, well kinda. I know that most people aren't brilliant, they just are. Its up to the smart people to make sure the dumb ignorant group doesn't try to sway them with shiny buttons. Am I fluffing out my feathers? Sure, I'll admit that, but if I don't try to help, then who is.
Enough about me, how about my faith? I don't believe. I was brought up as a Catholic and my parents gave me the option of being confirmed. I choose not to because I much rather of played baseball or street hockey or football. Happened to be the best decision of my life. I was one of the top people in my religion classes at the catholic college I went to. Religion is one of the foundations of life so I deem it important to study and understand.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins