Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Perfect

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by H on April 10, 1999 15:34:28 UTC

: xba: : The moon is heavier on one side. That's why the same side faces earth all the time. : Greg: : Actually the same side of the moon faces the earth simply because it rotates once in the same period of time it takes to revolve around the earth once. : Ton: : Design, symmetry, perfection, and rightious. What does it really mean in the nature of things? Our futile attempt to make sense, to rationalize, to label, to justify our humanity and purpose by seeking an ideal. : The universe and everything "is". It is neither perfect or imperfect, chaotic or organized, right or wrong. Tön : Greg: : Actually the Universe is perfect until you include the interference caused by the Free-Will of Self-Awareness. Everything in the Universe abides by either instinct or design, predictably so, until you consider the Free-Will of Self-Awareness, wherein things begin to go astray. *************************************************** Define perfect. I must ask how the universe is perfect, or imperfect for that matter, when it simply abides by physics. Tautology is great when trying to justify a position, but it never really works. I'm confused by the notion that self-aware beings have gone astray. Astray from what? The universe does not abide by any design, is simply acts according to its nature, its properties. Self-aware beings, such as mammals, are simply a bi-product. I find flawed reasoning in the following statement: "Actually the Universe is perfect until you include the interference caused by the Free-Will of Self-Awareness." Free-will (I disagree with the notion that this is some how interference in a somehow perfect universe) and self-awareness are bi-products of reactions and carbon based DNA reproducing and forming complex organisms. The perfect universe, in your view, wasn't perfect when it produced the imperfect, in your view, self aware creatures. We are simply the universe looking upon it self, studying itself, attempting to make sense of itself. Perfect, moral, right....all human notions created by those attempting to make others follow their creed.

H

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins