Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Buddhist Concept Of Life....... KARMA

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by GwynJ on November 23, 2000 19:21:11 UTC

pardon me if i seemed preachy, i really do try to avoid it. i have added book and verse not to preach but in answer to one who asked earlier 'where is this or that written', so i added them merely for reference (the person said i might have a potential to be misleading, perhaps because of my frank - and admitted - paraphrasing of verses, bringing them more into the familiar of everyday conversation). i do that because, to me, god is an 'equal opportunity deity' in that he doesn't exclude folks based on intelligence or resources. you could be naked in the desert and have the same opportunity for a personal relationship of the same closeness available to anyone else, and i feel very strongly that that insight is set aside in a lot of churches. that, to me, is very unfair and not reflective of his nature and designs. but, again, that is my opinion.

i'm not sure he was asserting that Buddhism means there is firm control without consideration of coincidences/intervention. his description sounded to me like that balancing of order and chaos, in a way. imho, however, if humans are so magnificent as to have that power, then why does there not seem to be the power to make dorks nice and stop hurting people? we can influence younger ones to try to persuade them not to become dorks, but what do you do with a dork who is unwilling/unable to get out of his own way to quit being a dork? has science given up any hope of finding that out? i don't hear of any studies going on, and boy that would be useful! haha

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins