Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Scripture

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by H on April 2, 1999 00:18:29 UTC

Through history, Scripture has been used to justify one world view after another. As science advances and views change, Biblical passages are simply interpreted differently by the religious elite.

While your scientific and theoretical knowledge appears to be well written and thought out, the link you place between it and scripture is simple and short.

Bible Christians fail to realize so many facts about history. Two issues that many scholars and theologians will point out are physical reproduction (copying by hand) and language translation. The printing press simply didn't exist and most Christians through history did not even have a copy of the Bible. If you wanted a copy, a monk would hand write an entire copy, which could take monthes or years. This was done for each and every copy made. But perhaps more importantly, is the issue of language. Any person educated in linguistics knows that words in different languages and cultures take on different meanings. Issues such as gender and plurality often have a far greater impact on the meaning of a word, such as "Rock" or "Egg", in one tongue versus another.

Check any world Almanac, and you will see roughly 2 billion people on Earth are Christians. Of those, roughly half ar Catholic and several other millions are not "Bible" Christians. As you know, or should know, Catholics are not obsessed with the bibles words. Their church teaches that religion only applies to faith and morals, and science is simply irrelevant. When I was younger, I foundd the fundamentalist quest to tie the Bible into science frustrating. Now I find it amusing, as your probably have found my grammer.

H

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins