Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Possible Fallacy, Links

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by nåte on March 31, 1999 04:53:57 UTC

: : Or, why does anything at all exist? : : : : Wouldn't a state of nothingness by itself remain : : itself? : : : : Therefor, the existence of something from nothing : : requires an extingent entity that is transcendent : : along the bounds of time.

: I don't understand why so many people believe we : were created at all, via the big bang or creation. : Until someone sets up an experiment which creates : matter/energy out of a vacuum, I will stick to what : logic suggests which is that things have always : existed, and always will.

The major problem with this thinking is that matter and energy cannot have existed for an eternity. This sets itself up for an immediate paradox, which I won't go into detail for lack of time. But if you have an interest, study the first and second laws of thermodynamics. Also, if you like to read, check out, "Scaling the Secular City" by: J.P. Moreland

: But I'm not a scientist so I could be wrong. Can : they create matter out of nothing? (no sarcasm). : Or is matter disappearing or being added to the : universe by an internal/external force?

And no sarcasm taken. I think the pinnacle point here is the assumption that nothing is merely a vacuum. I'm not playing semantics in stating that "nothing" is not justified nor qualified as a vacuum. You need to understand that the presence of space is made manifest because of matter, and likewise matter is able to be manifest because of space. Space is a creation. It is not eternal. Think of 3D space as a fabric that the dimension of time flows upon. Space is tangible. It is directly affected by the four forces in physics.

-nåte

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins