Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Finite Choice

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phil.o.Sofir on March 23, 1999 18:46:55 UTC

: This board has slowed down considerably over the past few days. Its been a "bear" board, but I'm a "bull". If your not into finance, just ignore my comments.

: The topice of Free Will has religious implications. It is a topic I find interesting, and have yet to formed an opinion. The more I learn about genetics, the more I am persuaded against the idea of Free Will. But my own life goes against the notion of not having Free Will. It seems as if I make choices, on my own accord, with freedom to make them. But is this the case? Perhaps my entire life is simply a product of two things, my genetic makeup and my environment from the time of conception until death.

: Thoughts?

: H

***Hello H, the concept of free will is an illusion in my opinion, this is shown by simply looking at what free will itself is supposed to be. We do not have unlimited choices on our very next action or even thought. If you happened to be falling out of a very high coconut tree and decided on the way down that you would rather think about that pair of underwear that you stained pink by washing them with your new red T-shirt, you would find that the mind would not obey, even further it would not allow you to wish to think of such at this moment. So what do we have? We have the ability to reason about the future events while considering the known or percieved possibilities which might lead up to such possibilites actually occuring. It is much like the effect of wishing for something, working toward this wish, and supposedly obtaining it. This is not at all the case although the results are many times suitable or close enough that it seems to match what you wished for, basically the wish has been modified somewhat so that the actual occuarnce matches it. This is the same thing as prophecy, since no two interpretations are exactly the same, only generalities can be of parrallel to begin with, even when such has been written down for millinea. Not only that but there is the problem of self fullfilment of prophecy, wishes, and as I am arguing, Free Will. Wherever there are limits upon something, there is no possibility of a totally free entity. Of course we are much freer than most that we are aware of, but our freedom is still minute. In every individual human being there is something that would remove all trace of intelligence, all there is to be done is to locate what that fear is, and apply it mercilessly.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins