Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Agreed. Fanatics Obstruct Progress As Well. No Msg.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by H on March 16, 1999 17:56:12 UTC

: I agree with you. I have already stated that I discontinued being a Christian, and this was another reason. I started to think about hell. How I wondered about it was a little different, but not too much. I thought about my mother. She is a kind woman, and worked very hard. She didn't always go to church, and she didn't get "saved" in everybody's preconceived way of doing so. I thought about me going to heaven, and her going to hell. I remember the Bible saying God will wipe away every tear, but I could not accept that I would be okay and happy in heaven without her there too. I felt like going to heaven was just a brainwashing process (wiping away tears). How could I be in Heaven knowing that my mother was burning for eternity? : I couldn't picture this. Then somebody told me that I wouldn't worry about it too much because you'll be busy praising God. I was like what?! I'm going to be in Heaven without even thinking about the love that I shared with my mother? I would just keep praising God, and not bother with thoughts about those I loved who didn't make it to Heaven like I did? I'm sorry, but I can't accept that. I would rather burn in Hell beside my mother than be in Heaven and pretend everything is okay. Hell is a very unjust place. The fact that people can't be sure which religion is the main way to follow, and it's not like God came down to earth to tell everybody what to do. And please don't say "he did, he wrote the bible through people" because I didn't see God tell anybody anything. I could write my own Bible and claim it's inspired by God. How does anybody know that God isn't inspiring me now to tell this partial truth? I say partial because I'm lost like everybody else. : Anyways, I think Heaven and Hell was created in the beginning to control people back then who were very feeble minded and basically did what they were told. I'm glad we live in an Age of Reason. It really doesn't bother me too much that people have religion because I believe to each his own, but I do care about having fanatics run around proclaiming the truth of their religion by hurting others. F--- those fanatical Christians (because not all are like that) who disrespected the funeral and family of Matthew Shepherd because he was gay. F--- the fanatical Muslims(because not all are like that) who practice terrorism. There's a long list, but the point is "get rid of the fanatics!"

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins