Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Does God Exist?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Charley/">Charley on March 15, 1999 23:11:59 UTC

I can't imagine how anyone can look into a telescope at the wonders outside, or a microscope at the mysteries within "our" world and think its some big accident. That seems much less likely to me than the existence of some kind of intelligence we have yet if ever to understand.

I've given up trying to put a name or identity on God. But I really do believe in something. I know I'm a part of It. Somehow. Rather than seeing the Universe as something created for me, I see myself as a small but quantifiable object in it.

Religion is another story altogether. Responsible for everything from the persecution and repression of human progress to condoning the African slave trade as a charitable act. It helps some to deal with their fear of death. A sense of security to some lacking the courage to ask "why". For others its a cultural symbolism - a way through words and practice to try and comprehend the unknown. I myself can't accept organized religion. But if it brings some people to a sense of humility before the breadth of the Universe and the ends of time, I'm all for it.

The more I learn, the more baffled I am. I often long for the day I was 18 and knew everything again!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins