Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Evolution

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael Wright on October 17, 2000 00:25:44 UTC

I merely used the Catholic Church as an example. What I meant to show you was this: They believed that they were right, that the others were wrong. What makes you think that your particular sect (Protestants, I gather) is the correct one? There are many many different religions in the world, and many more sections of those religions, each of which assert that they are the real one, the correct one, the true one, whatever. It seems narcisisstic to believe that yours is the true one, almost as narcisisstic as it is to believe that humans are the only intelligent beings in the universe ;). The fact that there are so many different view within Christianity alone seems to kinda take away from it all, doesn`t it?

And now we have the intelligent, worldly, wise, whatever religious people who in hindsight realize the errors and assumptions and dogmatism of organized religion in the past, and so have stepped away from it, choosing not to worship in a church, synagogue, temple, whatever. They do not try to convert others to their own individual faith, and there are some on this very forum who fit into this category.

But, just as the Catholic Church thought that they were the way God says it should be, how do you people know that you are doing what God wants you to do? "I Have Faith that I Am doing so," you may say, well I`m willing to bet many of the Catholic Church did, too. The Protestants say that God gives the Bible its authority, well I say Prove It.

The Catholic Church is constantly changing its view, you said. Well, look at the Protestants. They have split into many different groups because they disagree on certain issues. I`m sure you don`t require a history lesson on Protestantism, and I`m sure you know that the Protestants were protesting the Catholic Church. Three men, Calvin, Zwingli, and Luther each had their own ideas, and formed separate sects. There are more sects nowadays I`m sure, but this illustrates my point nicely. Three sects, at the dawn of Protestantism. Each of them believed theirs was the correct one. Now there are hundreds of different sections of religions around the world. Which one (if any) is right?

I`m sure you`ll say yours is, just as Chris Catholic says his is, and Jo Jesuit says his is, and Mo Muslim says his is, and Ike Islam says his is, and Cathy Calvinist says hers is, and so on and so on.

So tell me, how do you know yours is right? I am curious. Then, prove that God gives the Bible its power.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins