Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: RE: RE: Evolution

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael Wright on October 15, 2000 21:27:48 UTC

heh sorry i hit post too early.

Ever read about how the Church excommunicated, and sometimes punished or put to death those people who believed in a heliocentric universe rather than a geocentric universe? They believed that is was the Truth, or Word of God, or whatever. Then, technology catches up with the Church and it was proven that the sun is the center of our solar system, and that there are other stars like our sun, and they do not orbit us. The Church has since changed its position on the matter. That is just one example of people believing the "Truth" or the "Word of God" being one thing when it is in fact untrue.

You might say, then, that those people were wrong, that they were limited by technology or knowledge so they just picked the simplest or easiest solution, or the most widely accepted, or oldest, or whatever. How do you know you are not wrong, just as they were? I am not very educated on the subject, although I am reading up on the topic now. I believe in evolution, because I am standing on the "shoulders of giants," so to speak. I am in the process of learning as much as I can about it, so that I may make the decision for myself if it is really feasible and probable.

Our rate of technological advances is increasing at an increasing rate. Scientists have been wrong in the past, based on information they took to be proof. Many consider Ptolemy a great scientist, and he was wrong. But our technology nowadays gives us a much clearer view of our world around us, and of our universe. Our methods of formulating and prooving theories is constantly improving. Science is constantly changing to remove error. Is religion? If so, why? You yourself stated that the Truth never changes, and neither does the Word of God.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2021 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins