Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Very Long Responses R Indicative Of Enthusiam... Good Stuff :)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on October 14, 2000 18:54:12 UTC

Hey thar Chris, how goes it?

Where in the Bible does it say the earth is flat? -Chris

Good question. I have no idea. My highschool catholic religion teacher told me that one... i just accepted it because it seems to be useful in arguments. Perhaps i`ll give out his email and you could take it out with him.

Bible contains almost 500 specific prophecies concerning the birth, life, death, and resurrec­tion of Jesus Christ — some of which were made well over two thousand years prior to His birth. -Chris

Ok, perhaps "explicit predictions" was poor terminology on my part. I meant to say "scientifically testable predictions". I don`t believe those predictions should be deemed to be correct based on the information in the bible alone. You see, i question the reliability of the bible as an accurate historical text, and to me it seems entirely probable that they arise from self fullfilled prophecies. For instance, some particularly charismatic individual who`d well studied the torah, and was familiar with the predictions decided fullfil these, by simply saying i am "the one" you`ve all been patiently awaiting. Psychological delusions of grandeur aren`t as rare as most people think... just check out any hospital (i volunteered at one for some time, so i`ve been fortunate enuf to experience it first hand).

I tend to look at all things skeptically, and it seems in our age, the David Koreshes seem to lead people into horrible situations, yet their followers insist on defending them. That`s loyalty taken to some extreme measure, and i think it`s entirely very possible that this scenario could`ve come about.

Of course, if you could figure out a way to verify that the bible`s predictions were true scientifically, then i think you`ve got yourself a research project :) More than a few people would be willing to fund such an endeavor i think.

I said: take this Creationist example. Adam`s rib was removed to make Eve the first woman. If this is literally true, than it stands to reason that males should have one less rib than woman.

Response: if you go in for surgery, and have a rib removed, will your offspring also have one less rib? Really bad logic...nuff said.

Excellent! thank you for pointing out how bad that really is. This "rib" example was actually taken from a highly devote christian friend of mine... for reasons i can`t understand, he denies that evolution or modern genetics contains any truth to it.

So it`s clear you at least view that acquired traits, like getting your arm cut off, cannot be inherited - only genes can be inherited. I agree.

Now, in another section in Genesis, we are told that Adam, after taking a bite of the forbidden fruit, now has an (approapriately named) "Adam`s Apple". So if this is historically truthful, then Genesis has shown the same "really bad logic" you so astutely pointed out. An acquired trait of an adam`s apple is somehow inherited to all males in all future generations, even though adam acquuired it through eating the forbidden fruit.

Of course, you could certainly appeal to the "God is omnipotent" so this bad logic is explained away as some lesson he`s trying to convey to us humans... but it doesn`t help convince somebody who doesn`t already believe the bible is absolute truth.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins