Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: Free Will... The Dead Topic Claws Back Into The Woodwork

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on October 4, 2000 19:56:48 UTC

I am a determinist... i believe the universe (humans included) follow natural explanable laws - that is the universe is comprehensible. As a wanna be scientist, i have to accept that view, if only to maintain my own sanity. I realize that the determinist assumption (effects come from logical causes), IS ONLY an assumption, but that`s how the natural sciences go about trying to figure out the world. If we made the inverse assumption that the universe was chaotic, then nothing would ever be learned. The implication is that humans also follow from direct external causes - thus, no free will (that is my opinion).

I`m not insisting that God is not all knowing. I`m simply showing the implications of a God that was all knowing as opposed to if he wasn`t. If God was all knowing, and he created hitler knowing that he would go to hell, then God created hilter for the expressed purpose of sending him to hell. That is atrocious.

"Do we expect to be able to comprehend an infinite being with our finite minds? If this were the case, then one could rightfully question whether the infinite being is actually infinite. This is why man will never rise-above man-made religions. His religion is a mere reflection of himself." - BZRD

If i understood you correctly, you are saying that God is a certain truth we`ll never understand because we are finite, and God is infinite. This is the argument from ignorance. By admitting that we are ignorant in many areas (which i wholeheartedly agree with), you then concluded that God exists. It follows this formula:

-there are things i`ll never know. There are things you`ll never know. therefore, god exists.

I hope you can see the flaw in your approach here. Yes, our minds are limited... but that is a bad approach in trying to support the idea of a God.

Finally, I should point out that even love has evolutionary origins. "the naked ape" by Desmond Morris, illustrates the evolution of love very well, along with a whole host of other interesting sociological/psychological tid bits.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins