Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: RE: Photon Puzzle

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kev on July 9, 2000 06:04:40 UTC

I have had a series of ideas, all buiding on each other, for some time. It was in the pursuit of defining the dual nature of light as exhibited in the two-slit experiment, that I came upon the conclusion that light (photon) is not a particle. My thoughts lie much more along the lines that only waves exist in the transfer of energy. Real physical particles, like stars, planets and people do have real mass. This is in my mind not just an alternative interpretation. It is real. However, the transfer of energy requires an inherent imbalance somewhere along the line. The flow of energy is always to the end of achieving equilibrium. I believe that matter behaves, in all aspects, as if hit by mass when a "photon" impacts it. But I believe that is a product of our limitations in sensing anything of a qauntum nature. If we could see a wave, impacting us head-on, because of the relativistic effects of an object coming at us at the speed of light, it would be indistinguishable from a particle. To see it in any direction other than precicely it`s point of origin would be impossible. When an object is hit by a light wave, there is no way to tell it apart from a photon impact. I am thinking along the lines of the now-speculated "Higgs" particles as playing a role in "torquing" energy from a wave into the quantum field of the electron cloud in an atom. Enough "torquing", or "pumping" of energy into this cloud and the electron jumps. There`s more I`m in the process of reconciling in my mind. I think I may have something of a lead on unifying a few theories. More later. Kev.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins