Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: I Ran Boston In `82

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on July 9, 2000 01:30:00 UTC

When you say you ran Boston in `82, I presume you mean that you ran the Boston Marathon, rather than say being the mayor and running the city.

I ran Boston several times. My best finish was not so good, only 101. When my calves gave out and I had to switch to race walking I did better- even being the first race walker a couple of times.

In the Boston area many of the minutemen companies have reactivated, especially fore the Bi-centennial. Each company has fdife & drum music, and I have been a drummer of that sort all my life. Been drumming for 50 years this year.

So today colonial musicians from Lexington, Concord, Stow, Sudbury and Boston went to Marblehhead to parade aroud town and to camp out at Fort Sewell, a fort from colonial days. I just came back to work from a Clam and lobster bake there.

Somtimes we recreate battles from the revolution like Bunker Hill, but not today. This year we recreated the skirmish of the British and Lexington militia, and then the retreat of the british from Concord to Menotomy(now called Arlington) on the nearest Saturday to April 19th that did not fall on Easter.

The biggest muster of all is in Connecticut next Saturday at Deep River. More than 100 fife & drum corps will attend. The best thing about them is that we all play the same music, more or less the same way. So after the parade and exhibitions, we all gather for a huge jam session that lasts all night.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins