Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Free Choice To Be Unreasonable?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Person on November 3, 2005 01:12:34 UTC

I just do not understand the concept of free choice as applied to religion. In science an Athiest or whomever has fact up to certain points, they then go on to use the best available evidence to arrive at the the most logical conclusion of theory, some involve the big bang, others do not. However, they are open to change as new FACTS are discovered and new theories emerge, and can beleive in the possibility of several different theories.
Religion is NOT based on ANY FACTS, in fact, it is complete heresay (heresy?); written or spoken by others who do/did not have any facts. Thus to have faith is really only to believe what another has said, or to believe something on your own without any facts.
The concept that a god would chose to use this method to have its creation believe in it means that if there is such an entity it does not have or/and does not desire reason in its universe.
So, why then would it create a universe such as the inteligent design models now suggest? Or give us the capacity to reason? Is this the point I am missing? That god wants unreasonable faith?
Martin Luther said "reason should be destroyed in all Christians". I still don't get it.
Thanks,
A.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins