Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Domains Of Belief

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rowanda on October 27, 2005 15:06:51 UTC

Richard, you seem to divide up the range of possible truths about nature into experimental truth and superstition, but then back off a bit in defining a scientist's beliefs.

I think the domain of superstition is somewhat more removed from rational beliefs based on extrapolations of scientific theory, or even religious beliefs that do not contradict or are not inconsistent with experimentally verified theory.

Superstitions are beliefs or practices that contradict or are inconsistent with established scientific theory. So for example, is belief in a supernatural world superstition or acceptable religious belief? I would argue that it is getting close to acceptable scientific belief but still far from experimentally verified science based on your discussion of Dark Matter as the site of the supernatural. Many accepted theories, like Grand Unification Theory (GUT) predict the existence of axions, a kind of ultra-micro-lepton as in Iskatov Theory. And they are likely to be both motionless and nearly massless, so their eigenfunctions are macroscale, even global.

So I would say that the supernatural is on the boundary between scientific belief and religious belief, but far from both scientific truth and superstition.

I do like your scientific cosmology belief that starting with 24 space dimensions in a unified field, that 3-d space expands whenever 6 dimensions contract or compactify. It's not truth, or even experimentally verifiable (?), but it’s consistent with string theory and recent cosmologies from the scientific community. And even makes a prediction: that the first inflation gave us the large dimensions- you predict three in number- and the second inflation gave us the 3-d universe we live in.

If Randall and Suddrum or others find more or less than three dimensions, your cosmology will be proven wrong, so it’s falsifiable. Assuming that the larger dimensions merge with the larger universe, which means that there is but one superuniverse is a religious belief. But the fact that the first inflation splits of gravity, which appears to not be confined in our universe, is a scientific belief.

However, getting messages from the supernatural via license plates certainly seems to be in the realm or domain of superstitious belief and practice. I recommend that you divorce your cosmology from a license plate. Base it on Abraham's book instead, if you wish. Then it’s a possible cosmology with scriptural support of its reality. And do not claim that everything beyond experimentally verified science is superstition. That just ain't so and is a disservice to your thinking.

Warmest regards,

wanda

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins