Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Which Presests A Problem

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on July 15, 2005 14:18:42 UTC

Secretary:
You have perfectly illustrated a product of rational thought and you seem to be using it to determine what else is needed beyond rational thought. Is there a missing ingredient?

Well, since in essence you asked that question, the thread seems open to replies from anyone. In my opinion there are multiple next steps depending on the arena. In Iraq the pot has to be sweet enough to tip the balance for the Islamic leadership away from the fruits of terrorism. On the world stage the source of the terrorists, excepting Osama, are the havenots. The pot must be sweetened for them as well. The have-nots can never be defeated because the haves are constantly providing a fresh supply.

But that begs the question. The question is, what's the missing ingredient? I think yanniru mentioned what it was: "Therein I see the hand of God". But the hand of God is not missing according to yanniru, if you read between the lines.

But in my opinion something human is missing. God does not guarantee peaceful outcomes. That is our collective choice. Along with yanniru I hope it will be a rational one.

I venture that democracy and democratic institutions come closest to a guaranttee of a peaceful outcome. However, I suspect that yanniru will just argue that democracy is the logical outcome of rational thought and that rational thought almost alone is sufficient.

That last part is like proposing water as a cure for all diseases. It helps. One would not withhold water.
So...you cite yanniru as your authority that
"the hand of god is not missing."
It doth not seem a rational statement.
And here is the problem you have illustrated.
There are levels of rationality. Some are more rational than others. Yet the more rational one will not always be the one with the concealed weapon. The solution is incomplete. I have copied this post in case you need it posted again. Cheers

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins