Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: God And Science

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by nåte on February 5, 1999 04:48:55 UTC

"***I believe that space and matter have always existed, time is only the moments of it we can comprehend through all of our combined experiance (history, mans view of it), thus, no such thing as time exists for a God to have to transend, either he has always existed or not."

Well, I think this is where you and I differ the most and possibly the foundation of our differences. I, unlike yourself, do not believe that space and matter have always existed. This presents much to many problems and contradictions with the laws of physics. I also do not believe time is merely 'a state of being' as you suggest. I think there is plenty of evidence that the dimension of time is just as relevant as the existence of light is relevant. Just research and study the theory of general and special relativity. And no, I do not believe that this is all an illusion in our minds, etc etc...(Pagan, Pantheistic views)

"So I do believe that something has always existed, although not a controlling or perfectly perfect entity, unless it is said that god is no more than energy in motion, and then God would have to change along with everything else, except the "nothingness" of space which is the only thing (non-thing) that does not change, and thus God is stable, but is nothing."

See, this is whay may cause stumbling blocks for you, perhaps... You state, " not a controlling or perfectly perfect entity, unless it is said that god is no more than energy in motion"... Are assuming that God is somehow the energy that is in our contiuum? This sounds like Pantheism. (God is everything, me you etc.)

"Either way, God is not what humans wish it to be, something who "knows" "controls" "cares" about us as human beings, in the form and function we currently retain, which also happens to give us the ability to care ourselves to begin with, which allows us to care about something else that cares that we care..."

I, as you probably would guess, would disagree. hehe... The logic/reason being is such... If God created us, are we not personal beings? Why is God then... not personal? (in a cynical manor) "Oh God just wanted to create beings for no purpose other than to observe them communicate with eachother, suffer, fight, kill, love, and die."

"Actually, I wish there were such a thing, but we are currently as good as it gets on this planet. Realizing this has given me quite a bit of awe in itself, how lucky I am that some form of chance allowed me awareness of my existance in such a abstract manner, far above the other life here, not that we as a whole comprise some kind of goodness, in this respect, I do believe that the rest of the aware animals have retained a more "pure" sense of right and wrong, good and bad, natural and unnatural. Thus is the trade off we have for our level of intelligenge, although it is possible to regain it by mimicking nature."

Well, there is an all powerful creator God that does, "know", "controls" "cares" about us human beings..." I sense you still are searching. In that I commend you; if it be so.

"Show me the plan of God?"

I think God does and will if you open yourself up to Him and deny yourself. Truth comes only to those who come to Jesus in humility; in a state of denying oneself as though I claim not any righteousness of my own. But furthermore, His plan of Truth and reality is revealed in His Word.

Godbless,

-nåte

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins