Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
But, What About The Logos?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on December 24, 2004 19:51:16 UTC

Hinduism has a teaching of incarnation, but to my knowledge, not of the Logos. The incarnation scriptures of Hinduism are very similar to Christianity, no question about that. However, there are some differences. In the case of Christianity, God only has one direct manifestation in flesh (throughout history), and that is Jesus. In the case of Hinduism:

"Whenever there is a decline in religious practice andd a predominant rise of irreligion--at that time I [Krishna] descend Myself. To deliver the pious and to annihilate the miscreants, as well as to establish the principles of religion, I Myself appear, millennium after millennium." (Bhagavad-gita (4.7-8))

If the Christ is fully manifested each millenium after millenium, then this teaching is contrary to the Christian view which says that Jesus is the only begotten son of God. That is, as Paul expounded, Jesus is the first born of God, and all sonship of God must comes through Jesus the Christ who every knee shall bow:

"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Phil. 2:5-11)

In the case of the Logos, it is a logic-reason-action of God that is manifesting itself in the world. Similar to Hinduism, it shows that this manifestation can be in lower degrees in terms of the saints (and prophets before them), but it holds that Christ is only one person - the direct incarnation of the Logos of God.

This is important since Logos implies a formal system to the world, whereas incarnation alone does not make this implication.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins