Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Reincarnation Is Inconsistent With Christianity...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on December 20, 2004 08:02:29 UTC

...mainly because salvation is from God, not your own works as it is in some Eastern religions. If your works move you 'up' the spiritual plane, then it is understandable that reincarnation is needed to give you another life to keep improving your status. In the case of Christianity, the believer can repent and experience paradise the day of their repentence (e.g., the criminal on the cross next to Jesus). If it were Buddhism, the criminal on the cross would simply be re-born, not so with Christianity.

However, reincarnation of a different level is not ruled out. For example, there might exist parallel universes that are 'us', just with slightly different occurrences in our lives. Or, as another example, our souls might be exemplified over multiple human occurrences/times (like a wave function) and that we are judged not just one lifetime, but a collection of lifetimes. The difference between this idea and reincarnation is that you aren't reborn, you simply are located in more than one place in history at the same 'time'. I could see this as viable for Christianity since accepting Jesus as the Savior is key to being saved, so this strategy would allow everyone who has ever lived the opportunity to be saved if they wished to be. I'm not saying this is how it is, but I do like the idea that souls are wavefunctions, and your final eternal state is the most likely condition of your soul has some appealing characteristics. Whether you really need to be a Christian (in a formal sense) to be saved, that I'm not so sure. I think there's a lot more to salvation without advocating reincarnation (in my own personal opinion).

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins