Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Wish The Truth Meant More To Me Also.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Duane Eddy on December 5, 2004 17:32:20 UTC

Regarding the Matthew 25:14-30 and Luke 19:12-27 texts.

I do see the same parable retold with some small modifications at the beginning and the end.
I do not see two or three interpretations given.

It is interesting to note the history at the time. The present King had gone to Rome to plead for the right to rule after his fathers death but a group of the local people who did not want him to rule also went to Rome to complain about him. The King did get his rule. One could imagine his anger towards the ones who witnessed against him.

I see you have noticed that I did not give a specific interpretation.
That is because I do not venture beyond that for which I am able to provide a reasoned defense.
I was attempting to help you get somewhere in the ball park of the correct interpretation with sound logic.

Your statement that several other people in the world do not agree with me is surly true.
If your saying that I can not be correct unless everyone agrees with me....
I can logically defend the position that I can be correct while others disagree about my opnion.

The only similarity between man and beasts in Eccl. 3:18-20 is specified as both will die.
If you read Gen: 1:26 to the end of the chapter it is obvious that man is created different.

You quoted:
"To what, then, can I compare the people of this generation? What are they like? They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling out to each other:
" 'We played the flute for you,
and you did not dance;
we sang a dirge,
and you did not cry.' For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by all her children."
You said.
This parable is about how John the Baptist was stringent and they rejected him and Jesus was a crowd mingler and they rejected him too.

Would not John be considered someone who is going to heaven, Jesus as being God and the children who would not play as people who are going to hell?
Would not this parable instruct one how to avoid going to hell or how to get to heaven.
This parable meets all the criteria which I gave.

You said;
How can you possibly take that position when you restrict the meaning of the scriptures to the point to where you put yourself as the authoriative biblical scholar on the correct meaning of the parables. I take no such position. What I learn I'm willing to share, but I feel embarrassed that it took me so long to see the obvious.

I have noted that you do not argue with any of the logical steps I have used to come to a conclusion but instead scold me for having an opnion.
I don’t believe I have interpreted any of the parables, just stated facts about the ones which have an interpretation given and noted trends which I would expect to continue.

It is interesting that you are guilty if the very thing you are falsely accusing me of, that you can propose an interpretation of a parable without consent from others who disagree with you, even if Jesus himself disagrees with you or any logical argument from the text which disagrees with you.

Anyone who questions your interpretation must be arrogant.
I am not sure if this is your intent but please check yourself because it sometimes seems this way when I read your posts.

Inclosing I must say you have done a good job of pointing out some weak points in my thinking which I need to address and for that I thank you.

Duane

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins