Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Actually, I Wish I Had The Time To Post Here Much More Often...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Hilbert Space on November 9, 2004 18:21:34 UTC

Greetings Aurino,

Forgive my sense of nostalgia, but it's nice to see that your writing style, core beliefs, cynicism and presumptuousness haven't changed a bit over the years ;)

I also see that your penchant for pontificating baloney is still alive and well!

...these forums are a futile effort...

Since "futility" implies an inability to accomplish some objective, your argument that "posting here is futile" presumes that participants in this forum necessarily seek to achieve some goal -- such as changing the minds of others, or seeing their own text. (Since you've assumed those to be the reasons why people must be posting here, those might very well have been your own motives for once doing the same -- but you shouldn't presume their universal applicability).

I think you've failed to consider the possibility that some people might be posting here for other reasons that are clearly not futile. For example, if I post simply to exchange ideas with others who share similar interests, then your charge of "futility" wouldn't stick, would it? In my case, it would only be futile if I were unable to log on, or if I were the only one posting.

It seems to me that you're muddling up two very different things: contemplating the unanswerable questions is not the same activity as successfully answering them. Don't assume that because I'm engaged in the former that I must necessarily expect to achieve the latter!

Anyway, why impose your criteria of "what's worthwhile" onto others? Why not let the time-spenders be the judges of whether or not their time is well spent? Even better, why not join in for old times' sake? I've always enjoyed knocking you off your high horse, and I've always admired your persistence at climbing right back on it again ;)

(Now there you could claim futility, but you can't deny that it was great fun!)

Regards,
Hilbert Space a.k.a. Macula

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2018 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins