Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
This Conversing Is Like Wading Through Frozen Molasses

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on June 22, 2004 16:09:04 UTC

Hi Mike,

"I am glad it is unimaginably complex because it makes the dictator's work unimaginably difficult when we, who don't want to be bossed around badly, play our cards right. "

I agree completely. The only way I can think of in which things might be better would be if the unimaginable complexity were also perfect. But that is obviously not the case.

"DNA processes in these are an indication of deeper complexity in a small package."

I also agree with this completely. I think Paley would have also. To me it seems obvious that there is some profound underlying design.

"Sometimes it seems what is the most unimaginably complex are what proceeds a couple steps downstream from DNA -- still involving DNA..."

Yes, but only "Sometimes". At other times, it seems to me that what appears to be complex is really the relatively simple, straightforward, evolution of matter and energy as described and predicted by relatively simple laws of physics. But that is only the first of the "steps downstream"...

"...but also large, complex brains, freedom in social or intellectual interactions, and a large frontier in the physical universe and so on."

Right on! You nailed it, Mike! This second step downstream of DNA is where the complexity really gets impressive. In my view, the appearance of conscious will in the organizing of constituents of the physical universe is a major departure from everything else that is happening. How much "design" is involved in the "social or intellectual interactions" that have led to human culture is a debatable question. In my view, God is indeed doing the designing, but only via the multiple, disparate, conscious appearances of God's consciousness as transmitted into and through human brains -- and to a lesser extent through the nervous systems of beavers and nematodes. My view might be weird, but I think it answers all the hard questions. If anyone doesn't think so, please ask me a hard question and I'll give you a simple straightforward answer complete with an explanation.

"It amazes me that you have taken time to read and comprehend the thoughts of one like me, embedded in the 21st Century and likely never to fully understand what it all meant or was for.
Not impossible, but not likely. Thanks again. "

You're welcome, Mike. Given the mind-numbing slowness of this forum lately, it shouldn't be so amazing that I can find the time to respond. Back in the days when you guys would carry on conversations involving many two-way exchanges per day, or even per hour, I just couldn't find the time to keep up. Now I can.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins