Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Perhaps We Are Surrounded By Intelligent Life

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Clerk on June 9, 2004 17:08:10 UTC

Wanda,

I once heard a lecture at NYU given by Phillip Morrison of MIT, [and this was 20 years ago, so times may have changed,] that using all the best probabilities for the existence of planets in the galaxy, our Milky Way, that could support intelligent life; that if the intelligent life were to last more than 10,000 years, we should have detected it by now.

Rather convoluted sentence. The calculation allows for information travelling at the speed of light.

Now if all that is true, there are two possibilities according to Morrison. Either intelligent life cannot last more than 10,000 years or intellighence is developing concurrently, more or less, over the whole galaxy.

The later option is ruled out as evolution should proceed more quickly on planets near the center of the galaxy where ionizinbg radiation is higher, and many such planetary systems may have billions of years head starts.

So Morrison concludes that intelligent systems are inherently self-destructive. But I have another alternative, one that I was too cowardly to raise in that big audience.

Another alternative is that intelligent life inherently evolves to a higher level where physical means of communication such as TV is unnecessary. Most of us would consider this to be a spiritual evolution. What do you think?

J

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins