Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Think; Therefore I Think I Am.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Clerk on May 11, 2004 11:35:27 UTC

This is the actual data. It takes a leap of faith to go from the above to the postulate of Descartes. That is why it is a postulate. The above statement is self-evident as they say.

But that is not to minimize its importance. Thinking requires language- requires words to label objects and even label internal emotions.

I believe that is how humans first broke away from being slave to body intelligence.

Yes. Body intelligence as expressed through one's emotions. The intelligence of the mind is separate from the body intelligence, in my opinion: something like the ego and the id.

However, until humans were able to label these emtions, like love, hate, etc., we were slaves to our emotions. But by labeling these emotions, we got control of them: we could identify them when they appeared and could even manipulate them.

There is a price to pay for such control. We lost our ability to comunicate other than with speech. Jaynes would say we got disconnected from God, like in the allegory of the Garden of Eden.

The people who have retained that ability are now labeled as mentally ill. But it is really just the inability for the intelligent mind to control the intelligent body.

J

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins