Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Biblical Contradictions Are Always Amusing.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Gordon Drago on March 8, 2004 11:49:06 UTC

I found your post highly interesting. As someone who was raised Catholic, I've studied the Bible from cover to cover, and have always come across these contradictions as well. Atheism has been very enlightening to me.

However, I've always considered the teachings of Buddha to be a good moral compass to follow. I don't know how true this is, but somehow I got the impression from his teachings that no one except one's self is resposible for all the good things and the bad things that happens to one's self. We're not fortunate because of a God and we're not misfortunate because of a Devil. We are in charge of our own lifes. I've always liked that about Buddhism.

As well, I've always found it strange how Christians manage to find ANY morality in the Bible at all, when it will say one thing one moment, and then contradict itself later. Is God peaceful (John 14:27) or warlike (Mat. 10:34)? I guess it depends on what time of the day it is. I myself find it difficult to see any morality in a book that promotes canabalism (II Kings 6:28-29) and incest (Genesis 19:4-8).

If one is looking for logic in the Bible, it seems that such a task in itself is illogical. The entire concept of having a God claim to love me, then toss me into Hell for all eternity is illogical.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins