Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Belief Does Funny Things To Buddhist Thinking Too, Apparently

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Whittier on February 6, 2004 19:29:26 UTC

Hi, Glenn,
Certainly you are making an impressive
effort to catalogue what Christians "have great difficulty understanding." Christians and persons who admire Jesus' story are a diverse group, and many have no such delusions of infallability as Glenn appears to believe
they have.
On the other hand, Buddhists, too, can be found in great numbers whose beliefs about Buddha are not rigorously confirmed as logical and factual under analysis. Belief does funny things to Buddhist thinking too, apparently.
Glenn himself writes: "...when we read the life and teachings of the Buddha - a man who smiled at abuse, remained calm when provoked and who always discouraged violence - the reason for their rejection becomes clear."

Glenn, please tell us how you personally know what Buddha did 2,500 years ago. And how do you know that he "always" discouraged violence? Did you travel with him, and know him even before he gave up his life of luxury as a rich prince to become a celebrity lecturer about the meaning of life?

Glenn, did Buddhism and Buddhists originate modern science? Please elaborate.
Warm regards,
Mike

PS I gave my friend $10 and used her ebay account to contribute to this forum at the link which says "donate." I do not see my previous reply to Glenn posted here yet, though it was merely a criticism that Glenn is using the "Straw Man" method of rhetoric, which is a debating technique but not otherwise considered logical.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins