Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re "So What" And "dieoff.org"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Whittier on January 15, 2004 18:25:39 UTC

Hi Dr. Dick and Others:
Some of your statements stand as lighthouses of thought. Being archived, let them stand. I wish to reply on a couple of questions and contentions. I will go see Arthur's post at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/energyresources/message/48281 next.
Regarding Jay Hanson's website: I value its presence on the web, although when it comes to politics, www.dieoff.org is sometimes not very scientific but rather idealistic in its appraisal of history. Instead of comparing America to other nations in history, some of its articles seem to compare America to ideal standards which are fondly held by the writer.
Dr. Dick:
My only problem with the rest of your post is "so what?" People are always putting forth their opinions of the whats and whys of our environment."

Mike:
"So what" could mean
1) "What proceeds from that?" or
2) "It makes no difference to me."
Which sense did you intend it?

I will partly answer 1) in case.
The biosphere, being measurable, is
not merely a matter of opinion though further research yields improving clarity.
We are quibbling not over whether the biosphere is managable, but about what will constitute "success" in management of the biosphere.
Having fun, thanks.
Warm regards,
Mike Pearson

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins