Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Dualism, Conventional Physics, And Richard's Metaphysics

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rowanda on January 13, 2004 15:05:10 UTC

Richard,

I recall seeing your post on the WEDconsciousness forum, but did not bother to read your Dark Matter paper because the moderator of that forum was so negative about it. But now I can see that you are suggesting a possible medium for consciousness, one that comes from nature. Would you please provide the link to your paper again?

Now what I see from your post above is that you may have mixed up accepted physics, string theory that is, with metaphysical extensions that come from you alone. Well, not exactly you alone since Hindu thinking appears also to relate consciousness to dark matter. But I am not famaliar with such thought.

I want to distinguish the accepted physics from yours. Please correct me if I make any errors, and forgive me for doing so, in advance.

What I find must interesting, and completely consistent with string theory, its M theory version, is the characterization of 11-d M theory as being dualistic in the Descartes sense. String theory talks of dualistic theories- the three 10-d superstriong theories and the 9-d theory are duals of each other, supposedly all special limits of 11-d M theory. But this is not the duality of philosophy. There is also the hypothesis of duality where particles can be replaced by strings, and there is also wave/particle duality. These are physics dualities rather than the philosophical duality.

The duality of Descartes is that there is two separate worlds, the physical world and the mental world, that are connected by an organ in the brain. You may be the first to realize that the interpretation of M theory by Duff supports the philosophical concept of duality, rather than the usual monistic concept of science, especially physics. Perhaps it is a realized thing but unspoken in physics circles.

However, I think you do yourself a dis-service by introducing dark energy as a third world and comparing these ideas to scripture, even though that is the topic of the forum. Dark energy and Dark Matter is likely to be of the same world.

So where do you cross over into metaphysics? Now to suggest that this dual world is the world (or a world) of consciousness, apparently your idea alone, verges on metaphysics. And the idea that the universe is 26-d is completely metaphysics in my opinion. Not to be critical though. It may be that all of string theory is metaphysics since it is not unique and it predicts a cosmological constant that is negative rather than positive. Loop quantum theory predicts the correct sign for that constant. It may replace string theory soon, if not already.

Now your explanation of entanglement also seems to be completely your own. I have not seen it anywhere in the literature. But it does seem to be a simple and logical explanation. Then again your claim that the thread of compactified dimensions precipitate into space as axions is another idea that seems to be yours alone.

I would greatly appreciate any references to physical theories that predict the thread explanation of entanglement or that they precipitate as axions. However, I do admit that your model is self-consistent- even the idea of a heirarchy of worlds with a portion of the higher world entangled with all of the next lower world. That's elegant but completely metaphysical, and probably experimentally unprovable, forever.

It would be a shame if your whole scheme of things is unfounded because string theory is unfounded. More likely other explanations for entanglement and axions will be discovered. The heirarchy is pure religion.

Sorry to be so critical. But just one more. Your copy over is barely readable as all paragraphs and lines became continuous, making it very hard to read. Please take the time to make it more orderly the next time. Don't forget the link.

Wanda

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins