Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Call Spacetime "the Medium"...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on December 23, 2003 18:09:43 UTC

Hi Mark,

Ha ha, I love it! Why not go one step further and call it the "ether"? It has always struck me personally that the scientific community has never managed to free itself from the concept of the "ether" at all; they have just renamed it the "spacetime continuum".

Conceptually, there is utterly no difference between saying light is a vibration of the "ether" and saying it is a subtle distortion of "spacetime".

Is there anyone on this forum who thinks they can support the validity of any of these four statements:

How many of these statements are true?

1.) An ideal clock measures time! That is, the admonishment "only if it is at rest in the frame of reference being used" is a superfluous constraint on the truth of the statement.

2.) The concept of an "ideal clock at rest" does not violate any concepts of Quantum Mechanics!

3,) The reading on an ideal clock in motion is not a direct measure of the change in proper time along its space-time trajectory.

4.) Time and proper time are exactly the same thing!

I hold they are all false and that reconcilation of that fact requires some thought.

Have fun -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins