Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
LOL

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on December 23, 2003 15:00:45 UTC

Alan,

Fortunately for all of us, the profession of psychology/psychiatry is not going anywhere, and mentally ill people will continue to be diagnosed and symptoms will continue to receive medications to help eliviate those symptoms. So, quoting a crackpot is not going to change anything.

There are no categorical errors in labelling a series of serious symptoms a disease since, if that were so, a disease could only be called a disease only once the disease was understood. Saying that mental illness is a value judgement is ridiculous since everything is a value judgement. Saying someone is addicted to drugs and needs a substance abuse program is a value judgement, so is any medical claim where pain and or death are involved. There are religious groups who refuse medical treatment and vaccines for their children because some believe that if it's God's will to heal you, then you will be healed, if not, then you should allow God's will to take it's affect (or some related reasoning process). The medical community that one should receive medicine those kind of groups see as a secularized value judgement. Some people won't even take an aspirin fearing that they are relying on man to heal them!

So, everything you say is pretty much poppeycock.

If you categorise as "mental illness" anything that associates with failure in society; of course you will get high incidence of these fictional illnesses in homeless etc.

This is an example of your failed 'reasoning'. People walking around talking to themselves in a manner that they obviously believe someone is there are ill. There is no one there. Many of these people are suffering severe mental illness that, in all likelyhood, they would agree with you and Dr.Scazz or whatever that crackpot's name is.

My impression: you want to be important. At Counterbalance you reacted to my claim of mapping physics by saying I must be a math-whiz kid. You then said sort of "yeah good for you ". Harv you do not have to put people down to feel good about yourself; they love you regardless.

Alan, I've come to see that you have a severe problem, and based on how you can't even afford simple internet costs, I've come to the conclusion that I should help you. Afterall, you're comparing nursery rhymes to physics and you are serious! Something is seriously wrong. So, what you see as me trying to put you down is really the only real caring attempt to help you that you are probably receiving right now. I'm the only one who cares enough to help you. It's not a put down.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins