Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Thank You! William!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on December 15, 2003 06:43:48 UTC

Hi William,

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm glad you have an open mind.

"1 and 2. Good point but-- if god seeks ultmate "ends" for his creation then by definition he is utilitarian."

I agree. What you say is true simply by definition. But that leaves the question of your premise open. Do we know that god seeks ultimate "ends" for his creation? I don't think we know that for sure. But, my personal guess is that it is true anyway.

"3,4,5,10,11. What is true?"

Good question. I say that nobody knows for sure except for one thing. I know for sure that thought happens. I don't know anything else for sure.

"They are theorems, and therefore truisms.

No, they are not theorems. Theorems are mathematical constructs consisting of terms defined within a specific mathematical context. The statements of God's putative omnipotence, omnipresence, etc. have nothing to do with math and they are definitely not theorems.

"whether they are facts of nature is another thing. "

Yes. And that is the question on the table.

"2=2 is a theorem, but does it exist in "reality" or only in the mind of man?"

Another good question. (I am a sort-of-platonist and I happen to believe that theorems like 2=2 do exist in "reality" outside of the physical universe, but this is not the place for me to tell you what I believe.)

"6. Man defines what is evil, therfore he is its author"

I agree. But in spite of what man defines to be evil, I still think we have consciences which give us judgement type information on what is good and what is evil.

"8. **** happens."

Yes, but that seems to be contrary to your original assertion that I numbered 8.

"9. I agree, people want to do good, but how can a human know what is good?"

I believe each of us (ok maybe not the sociopaths) has a conscience which tells us good from bad.

"12. refere to 3, 5 etc... "

That doesn't work.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins