Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Forum Lord?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Forum Master on December 14, 2003 21:09:44 UTC

I have been noticing my name mentioned a few times.

You might be wondering what I have been up to concerning hiding posts.

I pretty much apply the "Prime Directive" concepts in that I leave things be most of the time. After over 30,000 posts in this forum, I have deleted or hidden about six. I generally let nature take its course in here. However, whenever someone comes along and says they have been somehow wronged and wish some offending post they claim smears their name and needs to be dealt with, I don't blink an eye and I "hide" it. I do not delete them as I wish to preserve the content should I need to prove something later.

I really hate doing that, but, you see, I do not run this site to put myself at risk. I run it to promote and nuture the pursuit of astronomy and related topics. Anything counter to that I have no issue removing. That said, I exercise that power conservatively.

It is said that absolute power corrupts absolutely. There is no doubt that I have complete and total control of what goes on in here so I treat my role here with great care and restraint.

I created the G&S forum out of need to remove such discussions from the black hole forums. It worked and what do you know, the G&S remains the most popular forum on this site.

I have seen some suggest I have a personal relationship with some of you. Nope. I have exhanged a few emails with some of you and a few have generously donated some funds to Astronomy Net. This does not change the way I handle things in here and I do not play favorites.

My rules remains the same:

• spam posting? Delete it.
  • personal attack on someone - Hide it once someone, preferably the alleged victem, lets me know.
  • Don't touch it otherwise. 99.98% Prime Directive.

Perhaps I should nominate moderators to help govern this forum as I clearly do not have the time to do such things.

Here is something funny; Someone said I was a septjillionaiire or something like that. If I was, I would not be begging for donations like I do to help keep this site, the other astronomy.net sites and its server on the air. Maybe someday, but for now I keep my day job and lose a bit of money running this thing. As a whole, I think Astronomy Net is a good thing so I will try to not steer the boat towards the rocks.

Feel free to toss me a note via email if you want to chat with me personally. john@astronomy.net. I cannot guarantee a quick reply, but I will do my best.

John

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins