Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Unimportant Question

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on December 10, 2003 16:37:53 UTC

The big question is whether my consciousness will survive my death

The question is as big as you make it. Death is not a problem, it's more of a pseudo-problem. You see, if you have a problem then there must exist a way to solve it. If no amount of reasoning, no amount of action, can make the problem go away, then it's not something you should be worrying about or doing something about.

Of course there are people who believe they have to do something about it - join a particular religion, live in a certain way, perform certain rituals. It's all nonsense. We didn't have to do anything to be born, there's nothing we have to do about death. If we are to survive it, then it's some higher power that will look after it - nature, the universe, God, whatever you want to call it. And if we're not to survive it, well, again it's up to the same higher power.

The question "will my consciousness survive my death" bothers me almost as much as the question "will I wake up tomorrow". I don't fret much about the latter, and I see no reason to fret much about the former. Surrender to the higher power, and enjoy the ride.

Cheers,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins