Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Would Like To See Your Evidence...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by M.W.Pearson on December 6, 2003 10:58:58 UTC

Hi Anonymous,
I would like to share in your concern for good science and fairness, and I would like to see your evidence...that "Western scientists have promoted promoted the hypothesis that the AIDS epidemic began in Africa, arguing that either AIDS had existed for many years in an African "lost tribe" or that a retrovirus crossed the species barrier from monkey to man.

1) I keep seeing references, almost always unsupported by thorough reasonaing, to "Western" parties as the eternal bad man. That, in your thesis, reads suspiciously like being racist itself, but I hope you're not racist. I would like to see you clear up this little question. What is your evidence to blame "Western" scientists for what you view as apparently bad faith and dishonest work (despite your admitted lack of scientific training, in another post today). It seems to be a fad now to blame "Western" civilization. On NPR they recently explained that women have traditionally been denied property rights under "Western" law.
How about "Eastern" law? "Not to mention" -- at least not on NPR!

2) The term "promoted" strongly places the question in terms of media, public relations, advertising and advocacy. Scientists rely on persons from those fields to do most of their their "promoting." If you are saying that scientists are advocating these theories with force and influencing public policy with an agenda of creating havoc in Africa, that is very strange and worth exposing if true.
The first impression I have is that real scientists doing real science would have their hands full trying to do the science, which can be a laborious and lonely process. If you have truly found scientists "promoting," please name them. It could definitely do some good.

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins