Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Neither Simple Nor Complex; Quite The Opposite

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on December 3, 2003 20:27:12 UTC

The mirror cannot be very far from the subject

Oops! Major goof! I hate those forums, the complexity of the ideas is inversely proportional to the time we have to think about them.

Now we can use your setup to test various theories

Unfortunately placing the mirror too close to the subject will not work. Mirrors don't make celestial objects look bigger, you can take that for granted.

Complex answers are wrong & simple ones are seldom right?

In a sense that is correct - most answers, simple or complex, turn out to be wrong. But I meant the two comments in different contexts. In one case I was talking about the moon illusion, in the other I was thinking of this Occam razor, which to me is nonsense. As Scott Adams humorously put it, the simplest answer is often the easier to understand, not the right one.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins