Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Be Sure Not To Miss The Nonsense, Tim

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on December 3, 2003 17:37:49 UTC

Tim,

I think Dick says a lot of things that make you wonder. Abrasive as he is, he does often make you see old things from new perspectives. That said, he can be quite confusing at times, and I found that taking his ideas too seriously only leads to confusion. Look at this sentence, for instance:

I am myself fairly sure that the actual number of possible explanations [...] is probably infinite."

What kind of nonsense is that? That is like saing he's sure it will probably rain tomorrow.

I have often argued with him that he must get rid of statements like that, because they make his ideas impossible to understand. His bad manners can be easily overlooked; he's not nearly as obnoxious as his writing implies, he's actually a very friendly and humble person. It's the nonsense in his writing that creates insurmountable difficulties.

Of course he thinks otherwise, which is part of the nonsense itself. I haven't found a way to make his nonsense obvious to him as it is to anyone else. I don't know why. I can think of explanations as to why Alan or Mike can't spot their own nonsense, but in Dick's case it really baffles me.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins